Have you investigated how to make your API forward and backwards compatible, so that you can make changes to your API without affecting your current clients? Did you cry yourself to sleep shortly afterwards?
It’s really difficult to be confident about API compatibility because:
- You are planning for an unknown future.
- You are scared that you won’t be able to support unknown future changes.
- You are not omniscient.
- You are not a time-traveler.
- There are many convincing arguments about how to handle change in your API.
- All the convincing arguments conflict with each other.